Friday, March 20, 2009

Still kicking

It Started at the airport..I was told that without a return ticket To the US. I couldnt leave OZ. So of I went to Qantas , they were the only company that would sell me a fully refundable ticket...at a price of $8,000 . Seems they are in cahoots with the US. Immigration service. I then produced my Visa and was fleeced.. just to satisfy the bureaucracy that I could affored to enter the US.[ I have already cashed in that ticket] Wasnt prepared to give Qantas a free ride on my money. Poor Byron had had to stand on the sidelines whilst all the manouvering was going on in Sydney, we barely had time to hug before I was away and into immergration and security, I fell into my seat and closed my eyes and missed all the flight and safety procedureds.. Flight was uneventful!

Its not over yet, on my entry to Hawaii , in immergration I was taken in hand by U.S. Homeland Security, My ticket was outside the 90 day limit, they held me for 2.5 hours whilst the mess was sorted. We landed at approx. 3am OZ time so I was befuddled enough without being held and so traumatised, finally they got me reunited with my baggage and I was free to go...where?.. Well by this time I just wanted to curl into a foetal ball and sleep and woe any official wanting to move me on until my flight to Phoenix was called at 3.00pm.

Hawaiian Airlines were magnificient, a pleasure to fly with, staff and food were commendable.. I landed in Phoenix at midnight and caught a courtesy bus to an Inn close by the airport. Fell into a hot bath and slept deep for 5 hours. Tim woke me at 7.00am to ensure my catching the flight to El Paso. We need still to be at the airport 2 hours before departure to allow time for the excess security arrangements, need to put shoes in a tray even for examination.

Arrival in El Paso...what a soft landing after the trauma of THE TRIP.. I came down the arrival escalator and saw Tim holding a giant basket of roses and balloons, I could barely get close to him for a hug before he handed them over to me and then it was mass hug and greeting time with all those who had come out to the airpport, even the missionaries had huggy love bears to present, finally we departed to my favourite family restaurant..' Applebees" for shrimp and spinach salad. After a short break it was off out again for dinner at an Asian restaurant with more of the family.

I had to beg to be taken home by 8.00pm as was drooping with jet lag. Sat. was much the same, we had breakfast at IHOP [ a pancake parlour ] before decending on the Mexican food market for fresh produce . Limes for $1 x2lb; mangoes @ 50cents each..herbs 25cents a bunch.. get the picture? Finally it was home at 9.00pm so I could prepare myself mentally and physically for our wedding at 8.00am on Sunday morning.

John and Noelie Stokes picked me up at 7.70 to take me to the Chapel where Tim was waiting, Bishop Edwards conducted a beautiful and intimate service, Tim wept his way thru it, I was also struggling against ruining my eye makeup, he assured me that they were tears of joy .. not sorrow at the loss of his batchelors paradise!. And so it is..we are already inseperable and delight in the difference that marriage has made to our ' aloneness'.

No comments:

Post a Comment